Sunday, 13 January 2008

Since my sister moved out .....

Since my sister moved out after she got married .... I have been learning how to cook and the most challenging one of all was buying groceries.  I seriously have no idea how beetroot look like ... finally figured how bittergourd looks like ...  since I started making juices ... I have been learning how the vegetable and fruits look like.  
Had lunch at Jusco in IOI Mall .... yummy Cantonese Ying Yong priced at RM 4.80 which was really reasonable.
So many types of vegetable.  Red, green, yellow ...etc
So many different types of lettuce
So many types of garlic and onion .... totally confused.  Seriously need a crash course in buying groceries and cooking ... anyone willing to give me a crash course ?
So many types of potatoes !!!!!!!
Hmmm Holland potato.  So now you see my dilemma ... and it is not easy to cook for one person.  Yet to figure out when to use garlic or onion to make the base ... etc ... totally lost.

4 comments:

day-dreamer said...

*drools at the ying yong*

Well, I suppose trial and error is the best teacher when it comes to cooking because everyone's style is different.

And omg, I missed the half-boiled eggs too! :D

doc said...

i know a nice lady who could teach you a thing or two, but you'll have to come to my church to meet her.

Las montañas said...

If you do not insist on eating local food or somehow asian style of cooking, you can always do the standard easy way of just boiling/blanching everything. Remember for veggies, add a teaspoon of oil to the boiling water.

boiled potatos, carrots, capsicums, green veggies, beansprouts.

Then learn how to microwave simple meat dishes like fish fillet.

sbanboy said...

day dreamer
Yeah a lot of trial and error ...hehe

doc
Aiyak ... am still waiting for dobbs crash course in microwave cooking

las montanas
hey thanks for the tips ... :)