Monday, 27 August 2007

Siem Reap : Angkor Wat

Day 2 of Siem Reap.  Rick and me decided to get up early to catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat and also to purchase the passes to the ruins for a whooping USD 40 for 3 days pass.  We got up at about 430 am and left the place by about 5 am.  It was already crowded with people by the time we reached there.  Everything was really organized when it came to paying and obtaining the pass.  We just had to stand in front of a webcam .. get our pictures taken and they will print out the pass for us which is laminated.  

It was very cloudy that day ...... so we were not able to take the sunrise pictures.  But being there in the morning basking in the glorious sight kinda made up for it .... but of course we were not gonna do it again getting up so early in the morning ....

Even so early in the morning ... Angkor Wat was already crowded with people.  Some where setting up their tripods getting ready to take the sunrise pictures.





See how steep these stairs are !!!!  Anyway later I did climb up those stairs but not this morning.  The stairs were made so steep so that people were to go up the stairs in their hands and feet ...bowing down before the deity as they ascend and descend.
I kinda got lost in Angkor Wat ... it was a glorious sight but we had to go back for breakfast and pick up the rest of the clan ... 
Our driver for the whole trip
Breakfast for me was omelette and bread :)
The guest house owner's daughter.

6 comments:

fibrate said...

Ah, those darn steps! Glad I made my way up and down alive!

lynnx01 said...

Oh the stairs!! My friend who went there told me about the stairs too after I saw her photo. So scary!

Jonzz said...

I wonder if people can twist their ankles walking up these steep steps.

winniethepooh said...

climbing up ok..its the coming down part that can be scary huh. Its such a beautiful place, if only its not so cloudy, it will be such a lovely pic with the sunrise. :)

sbanboy said...

Hey guys ... good thing I survived the stairs ... hehe

David said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog~! I visited Siem Reap too, last year. Here are about 400 pictures taken during the trip. It was a big eye-opener! Haha.

The steps were indeed very steep, I cannot imagine how many people fall down in a year before... so narrow and steep, very dangerous! If you misjudge your footing then really gone case.... No medical personnel on standby in these temples also.