Sunday, 18 December 2005

Loneliness : intro

Loneliness: Introduction

One of the most terrifying sensations in the world is the feeling of being "all alone". This is especially true if many different people surround you yet the feeling of isolation continues. "I am so alone, so lonesome, so disconnected from everyone else." "No one cares for me." "There is no one around that I can rely upon to listen to me, to help me and comfort me!"

Have you ever felt that way? Do you feel loneliness at this very moment? If so, read on. This site will offer understanding and perhaps even solutions to your painful problem.

Loneliness is not something new. After God created Adam, He Himself evaluated Adam's situation and said, "It is not good that the man should be alone." (Genesis 2:18). God had a solution, and after Eve was created, Adam's loneliness was never spoken of again in the Bible. God does not, however, correct all loneliness today with the creation of an "Eve."

The cause of loneliness today is not only physical in nature but also cultural, psychological and spiritual. The problem is even greater because loneliness may create stress that can lead to depression.

It is important that a person recognize the state of loneliness very early, and does something about it.

Misunderstandings of Loneliness

There are some ideas about loneliness that are not factual. For example:

* "If I am alone, no one cares about me!"
* "There must be some defect in my personality or my upbringing that makes me lonely."
* My loneliness is a sign of inner weakness.
* "This loneliness is a sign of my weak faith in Christ."
* "I am weak-natured and childish."
* "I'm the only one who feels and thinks this way."

And of course many others….

There are times in every person's life when it seems that he or she is alone or isolated. That feeling is normal, but, the reality of this situation is that we are never really alone because God made a promise to us in Matthew 28:20b, "I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Yet when feelings of loneliness continue over a long period of time, a real problem may be developing. At that point, one must look seriously at what is really happening to them and around them.

No comments: